Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 01:20:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patches for test / review

:I have two patches up for test at http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc
:
:I'm looking for reviews and tests, in particular vinum testing
:would be nice since Grog is quasi-offline at the moment.
:
:Poul-Henning
:
:20000317 BWRITE-STRATEGY.patch
:
:        This patch is machine generated except for the ccd.c and buf.h
:        parts.
:
:        Rename existing BUF_STRATEGY to DEV_STRATEGY
:        substitute BUF_WRITE(foo) for VOP_BWRITE(foo->b_vp, foo);
:        substitute BUF_STRATEGY(foo) for VOP_STRATEGY(foo->b_vp, foo);
:
:        Please test & review.
:
:
:20000317 b_iocmd.patch
:
:        This patch removes B_READ, B_WRITE and B_FREEBUF and replaces
:        them with a new field in struct buf: b_iocmd.
:
:        B_WRITE was bogusly defined as zero giving rise to obvious
:        coding mistakes and a lot of code implicitly knew this.
:
:        This patch also eliminates the redundant flag B_CALL, it can
:        just as efficiently be done by comparing b_iodone to NULL.
:
:        Should you get a panic or drop into the debugger, complaining about
:        "b_iocmd", don't continue, it is likely to write where it should
:        have read.
:
:        Please test & review.

    Kirk and I have already mapped out a plan to drastically update
    the buffer cache API which will encapsulate much of the state within
    the buffer cache module.  I don't think it makes much sense to make
    these relatively complex but ultimately not-significantly-improving
    changes to the buffer cache code at this time.  Specifically, I
    don't think renaming the BUF_WRITE/VOP_BWRITE or BUF_STRATEGY/DEV_STRATEGY
    stuff is worth doing at all, and while I agree that the idea of separting
    out the IO command (b_iocmd patch) is a good one, it will be much more
    effective to do it *AFTER* Kirk and I have separated out the functional
    interfaces because it will be mostly encapsulated in a single source
    module.  At the current time the extensive nature of the changes have
    too high a potential for introducing new bugs in a system that has
    undergone significant debugging and testing and is pretty much known to
    work properly.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:
:--
:Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member
:phk@FreeBSD.ORG               "Real hackers run -current on their laptop."
:FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!
:
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
: