Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 13:26:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@slip.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic title in XTerm bound to F8 (fwd)

On Thu,  5 February 1998 at 18:15:01 -0800, Burton Sampley wrote:

>> I don't understand why this should interest the ISPs, so I'm replying
>> only to -questions.
>
> Thanks for the help.  I've been 'banging my head against a brick wall'
> trying to figure this out.  I finally did figure out a solution shortly
> after submitting my request for help.
>
> The reason I think ISP's might be interested is if they manage more than
> one box using XFree86 and xterm.

Well, sure, but that goes for just about everybody who uses xterms.  I
really don't think you should be spamming -isp with this.

> It can be quite convent to just hit 1 single key to update the xterm
> title to the hostname of the box they are currently working on,
> especially if they need to minimize more than one xterm (ie, if
> you're changing DNS entries on more than one DNS server).

It would be a lot more convenient to have it happen automatically.
Here's my cd script (bash):

cd ()
{
  command cd $*
  xtset -t "%u (%T) %H:%D"
  xtset -i "%u@%H:%D"
}

This sets different strings for the title bar (longer) and the icon
(shorter).

> The solution is:
>
>> /.Xdefaults:
> xterm*VT100.translations: #override\
> 	None<key>F8: string("echo \\"^V^[]0;`hostname`^V^G\\"") \
> 	string(0x0d) \n\
>
> In the above string, "^V^[" is produced with the following key sequence in
> vi "ctrl-v ctrl-v ctrl-v esc" and "^G" is produced with "ctrl-v ctrl-g".
> The \\ correctly escapes the inside set of double quotes.  NOTE:  I've
> only tried this with csh and derivatives (ie, tcsh) on both ends.
>
> NOTE:  For whoever's interested, in the command above, 0 specifies the
> regular title and the minimized title; 2 will change only the regular
> title and 1 will change only the minimized title.
>
> I verified this works by ssh'ing into several remote accounts and pressing
> F8.  It did what I wanted it to do.

Sure, but it requires you to hit a key, and it takes away any other
purpose that this key might have.

Greg