Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:07:05 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions about installing a web server.

--------------enigF8C23FEA34865023A367F24E

=E5=88=98=E4=BC=9F=E5=8D=97 wrote:
> Hi guys,
>=20
> I'm a freshman man here. Please do not mind my silly questions.
>=20
> I am ready to install a web server, the main hardwares are as follows:
> CPU 4-core xeon 5410 * 2
> MEM kingston 2G EEC FBD667 * 2
> HD ST146G SAS 15K * 1
>=20
> I have several questions.
> Which platform should I chooses? amd64 or i386?

Unless you need software that doesn't work on i386, you should install
amd64.

> Is 4G memory enough for 2000 people online?

This is very much dependent on what will the server actually do. For a
simple web (PHP?) application, yes. For a very complex web application,
no. You probably also need a database there, and that will complicate
things.

> If you have others suggestions please tell me.
> Thanks in advance.

I suppose the disk drive specification is a placeholder - you'll
probably need many more drives in real deployment.