Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2008 17:22:57 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: OT: brother hl-5250dn here.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 03:44:41PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 11:54:43AM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> > 	Ihave my new printer here, hooked into my hub/switch.  What next?
> > 	How to configure it to get a DHCP lease.  I just rebooted my
> > 	pfSense firewall and do not see any new leases!
>
> Out of the box my HL-5250DN got a lease from dhcpd on my FreeBSD 6.2
> system.
>
> The 5250 network manual says if it can't find a DHCP server then it will
> pick an address in the range of 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255. If for
> some reason APIPA is disabled it will select 192.0.0.192.
>
> Modern hub/switches are wonderful for their purchase price and value
> received, but often have problems of their own. Often helps to power
> cycle a switch when moving connectors around
>
> If pfSense is configured to issue IP addresses via DHCP and isn't
> issuing one to the printer, then suspect something else issued an IP
> address. If there is any possible path between your printer and cable or
> DSL modem then suspect the modem issued (or refused to issue) and IP
> address.

	Yes, indeed.  AS I mentioned to Predrag awhile ago, the cat5
	connector (zat the "RJ-45"??) wasn't in the jack all the way.
	I finally pushed it in and heard that great *click*.   And so
	now all's right with the world [give/take]:   god is in his
	counting house, the king is in his heaven, and so on....

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix