Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:23:57 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1046712238.199f47@mired.org>
To:        Jim Trigg <jtrigg@spamcop.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7 Upgrade issue - Daniel Bye

In <20030226170922.GG46587@scadian.net>, Jim Trigg <jtrigg@spamcop.net> typed:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:46:35PM +0000, Daniel Bye wrote:
> > Yes, and the suggestions have been to follow the procedure in the handbook
> > or the UPDATING file, as the buildworld process is carefully crafted to be
> > done in that order.
> I'm trying to minimize the amount that has to be done in single-user
> mode (I don't have console access; I have to trust my hosting company's
> tech support for that part).  Is there any serious reason that mergemaster
> needs to be run in single-user mode?

No, there isn't.

> Ideally, I'm trying to get something that needs no operator intervention
> during single-user mode.  Currently, if mergemaster can be run just
> before booting into single-user mode, the operator needs to type one
> command ("upgrade", a shell script in /root/bin which runs the fsck,
> mount, swapon, cd, make installworld, and fastboot commands).

If you really want, you can reboot multiuser on the new kernel, and
run make installworld there. It's not tested, but I've done it
successfully. I regularly boot multi-user, then drop back to single
user to do installs from NFS-mounted /usr/src and /usr/obj. In fact,
that's recommended at one place in the handbook.

	<mike