Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:38:43 -0500
From:      "Zach N. Heilig" <zach@uffdaonline.net>
To:        bow <bow@bow.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Monitoring modem for dialing

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 12:12:09AM -0700, bow wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how
> to monitor my modem to capture dialing.
>
> Basically I have an extra cordless phone around the house, and I wanted
> to know if it was possible to hook it into my modem and then have an
> application monitor the modem for dialing, then do something depending
> on what was dialed... To give an example, I'm running xmms to listen to
> music. It'd be cool if I could just pick up the cordless phone, and press
> the #1 key (on the phone) to jump to the next song, or the #2 key to pause.
>
> I haven't a clue where to start! :)
>
> Is it even possible?

Just don't connect this to the phone line if you do this... I would
recomend using one of those IR internet remotes that connect to the
serial port. It'd be much cheaper (you should be able to pick one up for
under US$20).

The only problem might be writing a bit of code to make it work. For
mine, I just observed the output of the serial port for each of the
buttons and wrote the code around that.

--
Zach Heilig <zach@uffdaonline.net>