Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 00:45:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Patrick Humphreys <path@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange install glitch?

Greetings -

I've been trying for a few days to get FreeBSD 2.2.5 to install and run using
the following system configuration:

	Primary IDE Master: 	    disk
 	Primary Slave IDE device:   cd/rom

	Secondary IDE master:       disk

So what I want to do is leave Windows 95 on the primary IDE master and put
FreeBSD on the Secondary IDE master.  Two IDE busses on the PCI motherboard.

The gotcha comes after the install -- it installs just fine.  I just can't
boot off the FreeBSD hard drive because when it comes up, the kernel
recognizes "wd2" as the secondary IDE master (makes sense) but tries to
do the mount -o remount of / from wd1.

I've gone searching through the rc scripts and haven't found much so I am
ass/u/me-ing that the generic kernel is not configured to be able to handle
a root device on wd2.

So the question is -- since I cannot boot the system, I can't really gen a new
kernel.  How to go about things without having to swap hardware around?

Of course, if someone could gen a generic kernel for me with the root device
configured for wd2, that would be most excellent as well.

Thanks much!

 - Patrick