Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:15:13 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        Dave Haney <dave@engg.ksu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unexpected machine check

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:58:31PM -0600, Dave Haney wrote:

> I have an AlphaStation 200 4/233 running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE, XFree86
> version 3.3.6 with a Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 Pro 4MB PCI card for video,
> and otherwise stock hardware. When I compile, then run XFree86_SVGA on it
> and kill X from the console I started it on with ^C, the machine instantly
> crashes with the following error:

> * After swapping out the Stealth for a STB Velocity 3D, the problems
> persisted, with the same symptoms.  This may not be a telling factor,
> though, as the same chipset is used on both boards.
>
> * As long as XWindows is not running, the machine seems perfectly stable.
> I've compiled several kernels on it which seem to run fine.

Yep.. similar experience here on multiple Miata machines (MX5 and GL).
Used S3 based cards, as well as Mach64

> * If I switch to the S3V server, then the machine will safely exit
> XWindows, but if I switch between virtural consoles (while X is still
> running), the machine will hard lock, and a few seconds later, the screen
> turns blue, and says "CPU HALT CODE = 5" and reboots.

There is definitely a bogon somewhere as far as X on Alpha goes. The problem
seems to be core logic chipset related, people fortunate enough to own
Tsunami based systems do not seem to have these problems. Also the type of
VGA chip seems to matter.

Wilko
--
Wilko Bulte 			Arnhem, The Netherlands