Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:54:44 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        dg@root.com, Jagjiwan Singh Grewal <jgrewal@scudc.scu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard set speed and duplex on Intel Etherexpress PRO/100

In the last episode (Jan 30), David Greenman said:
> >I have seen a number of problems with auto-negotiation and would
> >like to know if FreeBSD 2.2.2 or 2.2.5 allow hard setting of speed
> >and duplex on the Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 LAN Adapter cards and
> >3com 3c595's.
>
>    The answer to this is mixed. The fxp driver supports manual
> setting of speed and duplex, but the vx driver does not.
>    For the fxp driver, see the manual page.

The fxp man page won't really help..  what you need is ifconfig.

run ifconfig -m fxp0 (or vx0) to see the allowable media types and
options.  For example, my fxp0 gives this:

fxp0: (etc)
	media: autoselect
	supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
			 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP

The entries in <brackets> are media options, not really media.  So, if
you wanted to force 10mbit full-duplex mode, you would run

ifconfig fxp0 media 10baseT/utp mediaopt full-duplex

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com