Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:25:20 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, Riccardo Veraldi <riccardo@righi.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HOW to format ?

On Thursday, 18 February 1999 at  8:27:13 -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> Years ago, Riccardo Veraldi wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> ther is any tool for FreeBSD to allow low level formatting of an hard
>> drive ???? or simple a formatting tool for hard drive ??
>> thanks a lot.
>
> Low Level Formating is a function of the type of hard drive and the
> manufacturer. The manufacturer's have utilities to do LLF. There are tools
> to do LLF on SCSI but you should visit the manufacturer's web site for your
> IDE. Western Digital has a tool called WDDiag that does it from a DOS boot
> floppy. For WD disks you do a "write zeros" to the disk, which is their
> equivalent of a low level format.

This is only partially correct.  Nearly all SCSI disks obey the
`format' command, which you can issue via the scsiformat(8) or
camcontrol(8) commands.  FreeBSD doesn't supply a tool for formatting
IDE disks, but every BIOS does.  This means that you'll have to shut
down the system, which is a nuisance, but you don't need to install
Diagnostic Operational Support.

Formatting involves a whole lot more than writing zeros to the disk.
It writes the sector headers as well, and the pattern that it writes
is designed to be relatively difficult to read, so that the
verification pass can catch flaky sectors.

You almost never need to reformat a disk.  This is a Microsoftism.
FreeBSD reports disk I/O errors, so you should know when a format is
needed.

Greg