Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:06:58 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on PPPoE & ADSL (Telstra Bigpond)

>  I previously wrote:
> > Personally (my opinion only), I dislike PPPoE.  It adds a full THIRTY (30)
> > bytes of overhead to every packet you send!  And for a (real) DSL link,
> > it's not needed.  That is, you really just want to send PPP over ATM
> > (DSL packets get formatted as ATM cells, if you didn't know).

[good explanations by Louis for why PPPoE was needed deleted]

Hi Louis,

I didn't realize you were on this email list...  <smile>

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression in my previous email.
I didn't mean to imply that PPPoE was "bad" in and of itself,
nor that it was not needed.  For the reasons you detailed in your
response, it is needed.   I guess what I really meant was that I just
wish it wasn't _needed_ in the first place!  :-)  It just seems a
little ironic that this protocol, invented to make things simpler for
end-users to hook up external boxes, has to be implemented even for
*internal* DSL adapters because some of the head-end equipment is using
PPPoE.  So we end up with PPP over Ethernet over ATM over DSL.
That's a lot of bit twiddling to do!   But, of course, it works.

And things would be so much simpler if we didn't have to support
_seven_ protocol flavors for DSL (PPPoE being one of them).  If there
were just one "standard", we wouldn't need so many options and so much
protocol (wrapping) code in our drivers.  And one could just use a
different ATM virtual channel, i.e. VPI/VCI pair, to talk to multiple
destinations (separate networks) at the same time.  If fact, because
there are some installations that do exactly that, it's yet another
feature I put in our driver awhile back - maybe that's eight flavors... :)

But I guess I shouldn't really complain: having all this complexity,
and all these protocol flavors, has kept me employed and made me
a valuable member of our development team...   :-)  ;-)

Gary