Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:31:35 +0300
From:      "Andy V. Oleynik" <andyo@prime.net.ua>
To:        Divya Mehra <divya@nttmcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bpf and user PPP ( tun0 )

ppp encapsulate different network protocols such as tcp inside its own packets.
U cannot trace ppp with tcpdump 'cos tcpdump works with IP module wich is ontop
of the link layer which ppp does.
Divya Mehra wrote:

> Thanks for the value input !
>
> I am still not clear about the following :
>
>  Can tcpdump be used to capture ppp control packets ( req,ack etc)
>  After starting ppp0 and a ping over it, tcdump could dump the ping
>  packets. But I could not dump the PPP control packets.
>
>  Is there some way to dump the ppp control packets ?
>
> Thanks,
> Divya

> Divyashikha Mehra              NTT Multimedia Communications Laboratories
> Computer Systems Designer                 250 Cambridge Avenue, Suite 205
> 650-833-3655 (Voice)                            Palo Alto, CA 940040, USA.
>                                                 mailto : divya@nttmcl.com
>
> On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Brian Somers wrote:
>

> > > I invoked the BIOSETIF command before actually reading the the ppp
> > > packets.
> > >
> > > 1) For tun0 i.e user PPP it returns error "Network down".
> > >    Only after PPP is up can I proceed further ( IPCP phase up). So I could
> > >    not  capture any PPP packets. Is my approach correct ?
> >
> > As soon as ppp opens the tun device, it brings it UP.  If you're
> > getting "Network down" this should mean that ppp isn't running on
> > that interface.
> >
> > >    BIOGCGDLT returns DLT_NULL . Is that correct ? should it not be
> > >    returning DLT_PPP ?
> >
> > Dunno, I've never gone near the bpf device - tcpdump is the height of
> > my knowledge in this area.  However, DLT_NULL makes a lot of sense as
> > bpf has no clue what's got the tun device open.
> >
> > > 2) For ppp0 what should BIOGDLT be returning ?
> >
> > I don't know much about the ppp interface - except that the code
> > stinks :-I  I would *expect* DLT_PPP, but again, bpf doesn't know, so
> > I wouldn't be that surprised if it return DLT_NULL too.
> >
> > Disclaimer:  I haven't looked at the if_ppp code to answer this, nor
> > do I want to ;^1
> >
> > > thanks,
> > > Divya
> > >

> > > **************************************************************************
> > > Divyashikha Mehra              NTT Multimedia Communications Laboratories
> > > Computer Systems Designer                 250 Cambridge Avenue, Suite 205
> > > 650-833-3655 (Voice)                            Palo Alto, CA 940040, USA.
> > >                                                 mailto : divya@nttmcl.com

> > --
> > Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
> >       <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>
> > Don't _EVER_ lose your sense of humour !          <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
> >

> > --KAA00746.932634953/keep.lan.Awfulhak.org--

WBW  Andy V. Oleynik            (When U work in virtual office
prime.net.ua's                   U have good chance to obtain
system administrator             virtual money ö%-)
+380442448363