Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 21:15:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Clustering/fail-over capability?

In the last episode (Sep 12), spork said:
> To stray slightly from this thread, has anyone seen this type of
> setup in the PeeCee world:
>
> SCSI-ADAPTER----DRIVE----DRIVE----SCSI-ADAPTER
>
> I've seen mention that two controllers can exist on the same chain,
> is that true?  What type of things could one do with this?
>
> Off to read the SCSI-FAQ,
>
> Charles

It's certainly possible.  I did a few years ago, with:

  T--HD(0)---Amiga(7)----------PC(6)---HD(1)--T

  |<----Machine 1---->|   |<----Machine 2---->|
      boots from (0)          boots from (1)

(Numbers in parens are the SCSI IDs).  I recall having to be careful
booting up the Amiga, as it didn't like probing the other host adapter.

And I'm doing it right now at work:

T--HD(0)--HD(1)--PC(7)-------RAID(4)(5)-------PC(6)--HD(3)--T

|<-----Machine 1------>|  |<-Raid array->|  |<---Machine 2--->|
     boots from (0)                            boots from (3)

Each machine has a 60-gig partition on the RAID array, and NFS mounts
the other over full-duplex 100mbit Ethernet.  I'm not doing any
failover (the machines are reliable, and aren't in use after working
hours), but I conveivably could determine that the other server is
down, fsck it's disk, and mount it on the other machine.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com