Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:02:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vinod Balakrishnan <vkb3q@cs.virginia.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   de driver problems with ZNYX 21140A cards

hi,

I am working on a 6 pc test bed (FreeBSD boxes) having the
4 port 100Mbps 21140A Znyx cards.

I am running FreeBSD 3.1-Release. I have also tested it on FreeBSD
3.0-Stable.

I am facing a few problems with the device driver de.

1. netstat -I <interface> gives  lots of output errors.
Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
de3   1500  10.0.8/24     10.0.8.5          434417     0   290242 289158
0

If I use the device driver provided at the ZNYX website (znyx.com) zxe
then I do not see any Oerrs.

2. ifconfig de3 mediaopt full-duplex , returns an error:
ifconfig:SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

3. The throughput of a TCP flow from one FreeBSD box to another (each
having a ZNYX card) varies with the packet size.
For instance for a packet size of 150bytes I achieve 90Mbps.
For packetsize of 500bytes it is only 60-70Mbps.

4. If I run a tcp flow from one FreeBSD box to another via an intermediate
FreeBSD box (all having the ZNYX344 card and de device driver) I get a
throughput of 40Mbps only for 500 byte packets.

All of these above problems are not visible when I use the zxe
device driver.

thank you for your time,

-Vinod

B. Vinod Kumar