Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 23:51:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@yakko.my.domain>
To:        ianwynne@zeta.org.au (Ian Wynne)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

> Hello People:
>
> I'm setting up user land ppp on my FreeBSD 2.1.5R machine.
>
> The ppp connection works fine, when I dial my ISP the ppp dials up
> and logs in nicely, and the ppp changes to PPP ON> showing the ppp
> interface is up.
>
> The problem I'm having is a routing problem. I don't have a proper ip
> number for my machine, so I've given it the number 10.0.0.2 in my
> /etc/hosts file.

Bad idea.  Set your machine as 127.0.0.1 (localhost):

127.0.0.1	myname myname.my.domain (for example)

> The set ifaddr 0 0 allows my machine to have it's ip number allocated by
> the isp machine. I've looked through the ppp.log file and that works
> perfectly also.
>
> I have the following line in my /etc/sysconfig file;
> ifconfig_tun0="inet 10.0.0.2 203.2.228.19  netmask 0xffffff00"

You shouldn't need this. Ppp configures the tun device all by itself.

> The problem occurs after I have made a successful connection, I can't
> ping my isp's machine.
> If I type netstat -r, netstat just hangs, the routing information is

You need to put "add 0 0 HISADDR" in your ppp.linkup file.  This adds
a default route, which is why you can't ping your ISP.

Lee C.

BTW: I know my hostname is bogus; this is because I'm on dynamic IP too :)