Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:07:45 -0700
From:      Sriranga Veeraraghavan <ranga@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has anyone used a Quantum SnapServer with FreeBSD?

[ msg cc'ed privately ]

> Linksys makes one that runs linux, Mike Smith hacked it to run
> FreeBSD.  I am looking into the netgear nd508, and see what it runs,
> and if it can run FreeBSD.  The good thing about that big
> Snapserver, is the RAID5 on it.

[ NOTE: I don't have anything to do with seagate, beyond owning a few
        hawk and barracuda drive, I've just seen a few of their
        boxes. ]

I believe that Seagate's runs Linux as well and has Raid 0, 1 and 5
support as well.

At one point they also supported "network raid", meaning you gould get
two of them and have them mirror data across a dedicated ethernet pipe.

I haven't heard about the Linksys one. What's the model number?

----ranga