Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:20:01 GMT
From:      David Evans <dave.evans55@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/139423: [parallels] Networking does not work on amd64 guest on Parallels Desktop

The following reply was made to PR kern/139423; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Evans <dave.evans55@googlemail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, dave.evans55@googlemail.com
Subject: Re: kern/139423: [parallels] Networking does not work on amd64 guest
 on Parallels Desktop
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:16:14 +0000

 In the previous version of this bug report, I was only
 having problems with an AMD64 guest.

 I have now managed to reproduce the bug on i386 guest.

 How to duplicate:

 1. Install FreeBSD i386 from the December 2009 8.0 cdrom, disk1. Use the
 settings
 for guest VM Delta from the list below. You should be able to
 run:
         ifconfig ed0 192.168.0.21
 with no problems.

 2. Now change the number of CPUs to 2. Now the ifconfig command
   will crash the VM. It will offer to send a bug report to Parallels.

 3. You could also try ifconfig with address that you know is used on your
   lan. This time Desktop will display a message about an address in use,
   before it crashes. :-(

 I've appended the configuration information for my Host OS and also
 Desktop configuration for various guests.  Some crash and some do not.

 The Desktop version is slightly different from the previous report. It
 was probably a trial version. I'm now using the full version.

 ============== host os and hardware =============
 machdep.cpu.brand_string: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7700  @ 2.40GHz
 memory: 2GB
 Mac model: iMac 7.1 20" screen (November 2007)
 Operating system: OSX 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard) 32 bit kernel, 64 bit OS
 Virtualization program: Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac
            Build 4.0.3848 (October 14, 2009)
 Website: http://www.parallels.com/

 ==        ====       =======
 Alpha     amd64      yes
 Bravo     amd64      yes
 Charlie   i386       no
 Delta     i386       yes if cpu=2, no if cpu=1

 ============ guest =================
 [Parallels section]
 VM Id: Alpha
 Filename: FBSD-amd64-expermental-keep-this-for-ifconfig-bug.pvm
 VM Name: FBSD-amd64-experimental-keep-this-for-ifconfig-bug
 OS Type: FreeBSD
 OS Version: Other FreeBSD
 Adaptive Hypervisor: No
 Optimize performance for: virtual machine
 Optimize power consumption for: longer battery life
 Number of CPUs: 2
 Hardware virtualization: Intel VT-x
 System flags: none
 Main memory: 300MB
 Video memory: 3MB
 Adjust the host computers screen resolution in full screen: no
 Enable 3D Acceleration: yes
 Floppy disk enabled: yes
 Floppy disk connected: no
 CD-DVD Rom 1 enabled: yes
 CD-DVD-ROM 1 connected: yes
 CDROM Real device or image file: real device
 CDROM Interface: IDE
 CDROM location: IDE 0:1
 Hard disk 1 enabled: yes
 hard disk 1 type (image or bootcamp): image
 Hard disk 1 size: Plain disk 10.0GB
 hard disk 1 interface: IDE
 hard disk 1 location: IDE 0:0
 Network adapter 1 enabled: yes
 Network adaptor 1 connected: yes
 Network adaptor 1 shared/bridged/host-only: bridged to Airport
 Network adaptor 1 MAC address: 00 1c 42 0c 36 c3
 Send the host's MAC address to DHCP server: no
 Sound enabled: yes
 Sound connected: yes
 Sound output: default
 Sound input: default
 USB Enabled: no
 USB Connected: no
 USB devices: none
 [FreeBSD Section]
 uname -i: GENERIC
 uname -m: amd64
 uname -n:
 uname -p: amd64
 uname -r: 8.0-RC1
 uname -s: FreeBSD
 uname -v: FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 #0 Sat Oct 3 14:01:17 BST 2009
    root@eight.pearl:/usr/obj/amd64/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 Installed from: local sources
 Ifconfig crashes: YES !!!
 Comments: compiled on i386 host for amd64, cvsupped slightly prior to
         the uname date.
 ====================================

 ============ guest =================
 [Parallels section]
 VM Id: Bravo
 Filename: FBSD-amd64-junk-test.pvm
 VM Name: FBSD-amd64-junk-test
 OS Type: FreeBSD
 OS Version: Other FreeBSD
 Adaptive Hypervisor: No
 Optimize performance for: virtual machine
 Optimize power consumption for: longer battery life
 Number of CPUs: 2
 Hardware virtualization: Intel VT-x
 System flags: none
 Main memory: 256MB
 Video memory: 3MB
 Adjust the host computers screen resolution in full screen: no
 Enable 3D Acceleration: yes
 Floppy disk enabled: yes
 Floppy disk connected: no
 CD-DVD Rom 1 enabled: yes
 CD-DVD-ROM 1 connected: yes
 CDROM Real device or image file: image
 CDROM Interface: IDE
 CDROM location: IDE 0:1
 Hard disk 1 enabled: yes
 hard disk 1 type (image or bootcamp): image
 hard disk 1 size: expanding disk 2.0GB
 hard disk 1 interface: IDE
 hard disk 1 location: IDE 0:0
 Network adapter 1 enabled: yes
 Network adaptor 1 connected: yes
 Network adaptor 1 shared/bridged/host-only: bridged default adaptor
 Network adaptor 1 MAC address: 00 1c 42 94 93 be
 Send the host's MAC address to DHCP server: no
 Sound enabled: yes
 Sound connected: yes
 Sound output: default
 Sound input: default
 USB Enabled: yes
 USB Connected: No USB devices are connected
 USB devices: none
 [FreeBSD Section]
 uname -i: GENERIC
 uname -m: amd64
 uname -n:
 uname -p: amd64
 uname -r: 8.0-RELEASE
 uname -s: FreeBSD
 uname -v: FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0 Sat Nov 21 15:02:08 UTC 2009
         root@mason.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/src/sys/GENERIC
 Installed from: cdrom  December 2009 FreeBSD 8.0 disk 2
 Ifconfig crashes: YES !!!
 Comments:
 ====================================

 ============ guest =================
 [Parallels section]
 VM Id: Charlie
 Filename: FBSD-Eight.pvm
 VM Name: FBSD-Eight-(precious)
 OS Type: FreeBSD
 OS Version: Other FreeBSD
 Adaptive Hypervisor: no
 Optimize performance for: virtual machine
 Optimize power consumption for: longer battery life
 Number of CPUs: 2
 Hardware virtualization: Intel VT-x
 System flags: none
 Main memory: 256MB
 Video memory: 16MB
 Adjust the host computers screen resolution in full screen: no
 Enable 3D Acceleration: yes
 Floppy disk enabled: yes
 Floppy disk connected: no
 CD-DVD Rom 1 enabled: yes
 CD-DVD-ROM 1 connected: no
 CDROM Real device or image file: Image
 CDROM Interface: IDE
 CDROM location: IDE 0:1
 Hard disk 1 enabled: Yes
 hard disk 1 type (image or bootcamp): image
 hard disk 1 size: expanding disk 31.2GB
 hard disk 1 interface: IDE
 hard disk 1 location: IDE 0:0
 Serial Port 1 enabled: yes
 Serial port 1 connected: yes
 Serial port type: socket
 Serial port socket: /tmp/serial
 Serial port mode: server
 Serial port operate at real serial port speed: no
 Network adaptor 1 enabled: yes
 Network adaptor 1 connected: yes
 Network adaptor 1 shared/bridged/host-only: bridged, default adaptor
 Network adaptor 1 MAC address: 00 1c 42 7b 5e 88
 Send the host's MAC address to DHCP server: no
 Sound enabled: no
 Sound connected: no
 Sound output:
 Sound input:
 USB Enabled: yes
 USB Connected: no usb devices are connected
 USB devices: none
 [FreeBSD Section]
 uname -i: GENERIC
 uname -m: i386
 uname -n: eight.pearl
 uname -p: i386
 uname -r: 8.0-RC2
 uname -s: FreeBSD
 uname -v: FreeBSD 8.0-RC2 #12 Mon Oct 26 22:25:21 GMT 2009
         root@eight.pearl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 Installed from: local sources cvsupped slightly prior to uname date
 Ifconfig crashes: No
 Comments: The Ethernet card appears as device ed1. I'm not sure why.
          Anyway, ifconfig ed1 192.168.0.21 does not crash.
          This is the VM I do all my compiling on.
 ====================================

 ============ guest =================
 [Parallels section]
 VM Id: Delta
 Filename: FreeBSD-9.0-i386-junk-test.pvm
 VM Name: FreeBSD-8.0-i386-junk-test
 OS Type: FreeBSD
 OS Version:  Other FreeBSD
 Adaptive Hypervisor: No
 Optimize performance for: Virtual machine
 Optimize power consumption for: longer battery life
 Number of CPUs: 1
 Hardware virtualization: Intel VT-x
 System flags: none
 Main memory: 256MB
 Video memory: 3MB
 Adjust the host computers screen resolution in full screen: no
 Enable 3D Acceleration: yes
 Floppy disk enabled: yes
 Floppy disk connected: yes
 CD-DVD Rom 1 enabled: yes
 CD-DVD-ROM 1 connected: yes
 CDROM Real device or image file: image
 CDROM Interface: IDE
 CDROM location: IDE 0:1
 Hard disk 1 enabled: yes
 hard disk 1 type (image or bootcamp): image
 hard disk 1 size: expanding disk 2.0 GB
 hard disk 1 interface: IDE
 hard disk 1 location: IDE 0:0
 Serial Port 1 enabled:
 Serial port 1 connected:
 Serial port type:
 Serial port socket:
 Serial port mode:
 Serial port operate at real serial port speed:
 Network adaptor 1 enabled: yes
 Network adaptor 1 connected: yes
 Network adaptor 1 shared/bridged/host-only: bridged, default adaptor
 Network adaptor 1 MAC address: 00 1c 42 f3 af d7
 Send the host's MAC address to DHCP server: no
 Sound enabled: yes
 Sound connected: yes
 Sound output: default
 Sound input: default
 USB Enabled: yes
 USB Connected: no usb devices are connected
 USB devices: none
 [FreeBSD Section]
 uname -i: GENERIC
 uname -m: i386
 uname -n:
 uname -p: i386
 uname -r: 8.0-RELEASE
 uname -s: FreeBSD
 uname -v: FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0 Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009
         root@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/src/sys/GENERIC
 Installed from: Official December 2009 8.0 CDRom
 Ifconfig crashes: No
 Comments: crashes if CPUs set to 2, otherwise ok