Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:12:04 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ralph Schreyer <schreyer@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   Compiled kernel does not work

Hello,

after having installed release 4.1.1 successfully on our alpha 433au with
much help from this list (thank you!) we are now trying to build our own
kernel. We copied GENERIC to MYKERNEL, commented out some devices, did
config, make clean, make depend, make, make install and copied
/boot/kernel/kernel to /kernel. Booting fails with the error message

  vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port ... iomem ... on isa0
  panic: cpu_initclocks: no clock attached

O.k., we thought we commented out some devices actually needed, so we
switched them on again one after the other, but the error message
remained, even if we just copied GENERIC to MYKERNEL and compiled MYKERNEL
without any modifications. However, /kernel.GENERIC works. Any ideas?

Best regards,

Ralph.