Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 02:35:20 -0600
From:      "Bob Giesen" <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 1:32 AM

> ...it really would be much better
> if people stopped taking Windows as some kind of model to which
> FreeBSD should aspire...

   Geez, Cliff, I never suggested that FreeBSD should aspire to be like
Windoze!  One soon-to-be ex-Win user mentioned the difficulty of installing
FreeBSD, another person took issue with that, and I simply pointed out what
should be obvious -- that there's good reason for a non-UNIX-guru who's used
to well-planned InstallShield-type installations to feel that the FreeBSD
installation is more difficult.
   Your love of FreeBSD is duly noted -- but remember that love can be
blind.  FreeBSD's not perfect in every way -- and (prepare for blasphemy...)
it's not better than Winblows in every way.  (Most ways, by far, but not
every.)  Can you not still be a defender of the OS while recognizing that
another is, indeed, better in some ways?
   My sons aren't perfect, but I'm not going to lecture or cajole others on
how to love them if they, perchance, happen to notice their imperfections.
But I'll defend their honor to the death.  I love them with all of my
heart -- far more than anyone could conceivably love an operating system.
Yet, wouldn't it make me a hypocrite to hold up their shortcomings as
strengths?  Where in that would the honor be for me?  I'd be labeled as
blind, at best; worse, ignorant.
   Lighten thee up.  It's just a couple of opinions about a work in
progress -- and flowery verse won't change mine.
- Bob