Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:11:12 -0600
From:      Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Laszlo Antal <lantal@tmail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 Does Not Install on Toshiba Satellite Laptop

On Monday 22 November 2004 05:05 pm, Laszlo Antal wrote:

> I am tryin to install FreeBSD 5.3 on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop.
> Every time I boot up from the cd it stops loading at
> pci0<ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
>
> I tryed everything in my bios.I even disable the wirwles card and the
> mouse, unpluged evry extra and still stops.
> I tryed boot with ACPI, ACPI disable, Safe Mode.
>
> Same problem.
>
> The same cd does boot correctly on my desktop.
>
> Does anyone could give me Idea what am I doing wrong?
> Or if this laptop is not supported.

This is not really an answer to your question, but I thought you might be
interested in my experience with my Toshiba laptop (an old Tecra 8100, 500
MHz).

I tried installing FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and the Debian Linux distro... all had
what seemed to be pretty big problems that were going to require lots of my
time to fix. I then tried the Fedora Core 2 Linux distro, and it worked so
well I could hardly believe it. It worked so well, I decided to invest in a
new battery, and larger hard drive. Now I've got a really functional,
lightweight laptop I can use for all sorts of things... it was like finding
$$$ on the street  :)

On a possibly more relevant note, Toshiba does run a website & mail list to
support folks that are installing open source OS's on their laptops. Try
googling "Toshiba laptop Linux FreedBSD".

HTH,
Jay