Date:      Sun, 29 May 2005 17:30:43 +0200
From:      Tijl Coosemans <tijl@ulyssis.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   translated manpages

--nextPart12993466.vMBxBk8AN5

I'm currently making a port for a program that has some of its manpages=20
translated into other languages but not all of them. There doesn't seem=20
to be a good way to handle this, since setting MANLANG assumes all=20
manpages have been translated.

I've found a mail in the archives from earlier this month=20
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-May/023177.html)=20
that tries to address the exact same issue, but I don't really like the=20
solutions provided there. In fact I don't even see how they can work,=20
e.g. when you want to install multiple languages. Putting the manpages=20
in the pkg-plist file would work, but then they aren't compressed.

I think it would be better if the list of manpages for a particular=20
language defaults to the standard manpages, just as it currently works,=20
but with the possibility to overwrite this list. Something like the=20
following perhaps to install German and French translations with the=20
latter being incomplete:

MANLANG=3D "" de fr
MAN1=3D page1.1 page2.1
MAN1_fr=3D page1.1

I'm not entirely familiar with Makefile syntax, but I suppose this would=20
require only minimal changes to Mk/bsd.port.mk and would still be=20
backwards compatible. There'd have to be something similar for MLINKS=20
too of course.

Other opinions?