Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:33:42 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        erb@inss1.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ham radio programs?

Olaf Erb replies:

> In article <199709290148.UAA01072@nospam.hiwaay.net>,
>  <dkelly@hiwaay.NET> wrote:
> >Michael A. Endsley writes:
> >FreeBSD's slattach won't attach to a pty, last time I tried it. Something
> >to do with the pty not being as complete as a tty. Failed with in an
> >ioctl for setting process group or some such. Linking TNOS's IP stack
> >to FreeBSD's becomes more difficult than it should. I got a PPP link
> >running once thru a pty. And didn't know how I did it afterwards to
> >repeat. A pair of hardware serial ports with a null modem cable works.
>
> I solved the same problem in WAMPES using a tun device. Took me one hour
> or so to get it up and running, much cleaner than this linuxish slip-over-
> pty crap. The tun device is a great feature of *BSD.

Only recently has discussion on the TNOS lists touched on running TNOS
as someone other than root.  :-(

My copy of TNOS *never* ran as root. That's the good feature of SL/IP
over pty. Considering the low low low bandwidth of amateur packet radio,
its not even close to being a performance issue. The FreeBSD version of
TNOS uses "install -c -g dialer -o tnos -m 2755" to install as user "tnos"
setgid to "dialer" so it can uucp lock serial ports.

> You may take a look at the WAMPES package, it doesn't have that much
> features like TNOS but it's ok- it serves only as a ax.25/IP "router" for me
> between the ax.25 packet radio network and FreeBSD's IP stack. Services
> are all provided by FreeBSD itself.

I played with WAMPES many years ago under Linux. Was the first AX.25
stack I got to run. For a few minutes I even thought its automatic
generation of user accounts for new logins was cool. Am sure that can
be disabled if one took the time to find it.

I would be much more interested in a modular amateur packet radio
approach. BBS, NNTP, HTTP, mail, TCP/IP, etc, all in one binary is way
too much. Would rather see something like a "kissd" which could
interface to KISS TNC's and spawn the appropriate child process on
connect.

73,
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net