Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:28:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
To:        Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: change in pci bus probe order between 3.2 and 4.0?

> Um...perhaps I'm being stupid, but why don't you just switch the IP
> addresses of the NICs? If I understand what you were saying, in 3.2, your
> config looked like:

> which will give you your original configuration again,
> and then fold those changes into /etc/rc.conf so the configuration is
> preserved if the system reboots?
>
> Or is there something I'm missing?

Well, yes in general this would, but then I have to maintain two
seperate configurations and remember which machines were which -- I
already kind of do this but it would complicate things some. I could live
with that, but, read on...

The REAL problem is that the only reason the second nic is in the box in
the first place is that it has a custom boot-bios that I can't put into
the card integrated on the motherboard.  I dont even have a cable plugged
into the second card at all -- it's just there for the bios.

Thanks for the idea -- upon further reflection, I could probably rewrite
part of the boot-bios (was designed in house here...) and change some of
the startup stuff to detect this and change cards.  It still seems like
this is the hard way, but at least it's an option if I can't do anything
else.

Fred
--
Fred Clift - fred@veriohosting.com -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.