Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:45:02 +0000
From:      Peter Risdon <peter@circlesquared.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with starting the apache server

Marek Denis wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:24:50PM +0800, Loo Eric wrote:
>

>>1) when i add the apache package it comes out following output:
>>
>>Added group "www".
>>Added user "www".
>>
>>===>  COMPATIBILITY NOTE:
>>     As of version 1.3.24, the RedirectMatch directive requires an
>>     absolute URL target location per RFC 2068. Uses of RedirectMatch that
>>     specify a relative URL will fail and must be corrected to function.
>>
>>2)then when i start the apache server by typing "apachectl start" it comes
>>out the following output:
>>
>>/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>>
>>hope that i will get reply from u soon thanks!
>>

>hm, maybe you tried to start your apache as a normaln (non-root ) user?
>Once i forgot to su for my root user and tried to start httpd, and afar got some similar
>errors...

Does /var/log/httpd-error.log contain anything helpful?

A common reason for a newly installed apache not to work is the absence
of document root or log file paths that are writable by the user apache
runs as, in this case www. Have you read through
/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf and checked that everything is where it
should be?

PWR.