Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 1999 00:15:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jaime@malkav.snowmoon.com (Jaime Kikpole)
Cc:        andrew@soc.lg.gov.ua (andrew), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID Arrays

Jaime Kikpole wrote,
> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, andrew wrote:
> >  Can I merge many FreeBSD partitions on different disks in one big
> > partition? (like NetWare volumes). Please, if somebody know, help me.
> > I have FreeBSD 3.2 installed.
[snip]

> 	The third idea is vinum.  Check "man 8 vinum" for details about
> that.  Again, I think that you need to compile it into the kernel.

No, vinum is a KLD, a dynamically loaded kernel module. See vinum(4),

"KERNEL CONFIGURATION
     vinum is currently supplied as a kernel loadable module (kld), and does
     not require configuration.  As with other klds, it is absolutely neces-
     sary to match the kld to the version of the operating system.  Failure to
     do so will cause vinum to issue an error message and terminate.

     It is possible to configure vinum in the kernel, but this is not recom-
     mended.  To do so, add this line to the kernel configuration file:

           pseudo-device   vinum"

A kernel rebuild is _NOT_ required and the docs actually recommend
that it not be done.