Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:03:21 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

At 6:23 PM +0100 3/11/02, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>In message , Garance A Drosihn writes:
>  >Okay.  I had misunderstood what you were saying in the
>>earlier message.  As long as it works for the AFS/ARLA
>>case I'll be happy.  I get a little uneasy about these
>>things, because I expect that very few freebsd'ers work
>>in an AFS world, and solutions which will be perfectly
>>fine for NFS mounts might have scaling problems when
>>used for AFS.
>
>But you could do me a favour:  Write up a piece of text
>which gives enough info for somebody like me to setup
>and test AFS/ARLA in my lab...

Hmm.  This is a very reasonable request, but I am not
sure I have a good answer...

Does your lab have reasonably-fast connectivity to the
internet at large?  If so, then I could see about writing
something for setting up a machine as an AFS client and
having it pretend it is part of some already-existing AFS
cell.  I do not actually use OpenAFS or ARLA on my freebsd
systems, but I certainly do want to figure that out.

If you do not have a fast network connection, then you
would need to set up your own AFS server.  I do not know
how to do that, and I am pretty sure it is not something
that someone could do in an afternoon.  The AFS cell at
RPI has 600-gigabytes of disk space in it, so I haven't
had much of an urge to start my own server!  On the other
hand, I would really really like to get at that 600-gig
from FreeBSD clients.

There is a web site for openafs, at www.openafs.org.  That
has downloadable client installations forMacOS 10, some
versions of Windows, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, AIX, and
Tru64 Unix.  That web site does not have a client for the
Net,Open, or FreeBSD's.  Most of the BSD's probably go with
the ARLA port for their AFS client.

Unfortunately, I noticed that someone else just mentioned
that the ARLA port is broken on current -- and here I just
switched to running current.  Sigh...