Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:35:02 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wicontrol when WaveLAN card is inserted

> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:20:49 -0400
> From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Some people I know are doing config like that, although most are using
>
>  	insert	  /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -p 1
>
> in case it doesn't end up being 0 for some odd reason.
Thanks for the suggestions. They started me looking in the right
places.

I'm now using $device, which probably will never make a difference but
is certainly good practice.

But the real problem was probably that I needed to do the wicontrol
BEFORE the pccard_ether and I was doing it after. Since pccard_ether
could not complete until the card could talk, it would simply hang.

Since I don't have an 802.11 net running here, I can't swear that it's
working, but I suspect that it is.

It would be nice to get this documented, as it's all clear to me now,
but until you start to understand how the pccard stuff plays, it's not
at all obvious and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has had this
problem. (I was talking to someone at the NANOG meeting Monday and
Tuesday of this week who was having exactly the same problem.) I'm
just not sure if it should be in wicontrol or pccardd man pages. I'd
probably put it in wicontrol, but it probably belongs in the
(nonexistant) man page for pccard_ether.

I'd add the following to DESCRIPTION section:
"If used to configure the interface when the card in inserted, the
wicontrol command(s) must be executed prior to any commands that
require a functional interface."

Yes, this should be obvious, but it really is not. Especially if you
have no idea what pccard_ether does.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)