Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:57:41 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        BSD Admin <freebsd@noc.ntelos.net>
Cc:        Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IMAP

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, BSD Admin wrote:

> Jonathan and FreeBSD,
> Hello, I uncommented the line and HUPd inetd.
> In my /var/log/messages file, I got a message saying:
>
> Apr 11 08:21:31 noc inetd[34953]: cannot execute
> /usr/local/libexec/imapd: No such file or directory
>
> The strange thing is that when I did a scan on the machine, it appears
> imap is running.
>
> 143/tcp    open        imap2
>
> Can anyone explain why it says imap4 in inetd.conf and imap2 otherwise?
> I know that nmap does a best guess at what is running on a given port.
> I was just wondering what imap4 is relative to imap2 and 1.
>
> Any info much appriciated!

From the top:

First error message is because you need to ensure that the path in imapd
is correct, ie. not /usr/local/libexec/imapd, but /usr/local/bin/imapd.

Second: the thing that's listening on the imap port is inetd; this will
palm off an incoming connection to your imapd when properly configured
(see the output of sockstat).

Third: grep imap /etc/services. imap2 and imap4 are synonyms for the
same port; the port-to-service-name function returns "imap2" because
that's listed first.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
stty intr ^m