Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 18:14:04 +1100 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
To:        jdn@acp.qiv.com (Jay Nelson)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hidden files question

In article by Jay Nelson:
> that have failed. Today, /var was showing 50 MB and I could only
> account for about 5MB. I could find no hidden files.
> Any combination I've used with find hasn't shown anything. Any ideas
> on how I can find the missing 45MB?
> Is there a known benign condition that could account for this?

If a process holds a file open, and you remove the file, then the
directory entry is removed, but the file's inode and its contents
still take space on the disk. You have to convince whichever process
to close the file. Alternatively, you have to kill off the process,
or shut the system down (at worst).

Cheers,
	Warren