Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:15:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Talkington <dtalk@prairienet.org>
To:        Chuck Rock <carock@epconline.net>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What anti-sniffer measures do i have?

Chuck Rock wrote:

>I believe most switches are Layer 2 which is MAC based. You would have to
>know the MAC address of the computer you want to intercept traffic for, and
>then your switch would have to give you the packets instead of erroring out
>and or dropping the packets because you can't have two of the same MAC
>addresses on the network.
>
>Has anyone actually gotten another's information spoofing MAC addresses?
>I don't see how this could work.

Play around with dsniff.  On my test network at home, with two
workstations (A and B) and a gateway router (C) on a 10/100 switch,
I've been able to convince A that B was its router, and view A's
traffic before sending it on to C.  A putters away, and never even
knows B is there.  It's kinda scary.

Far as I know, hard-coding an arp table is the only way to prevent
that sort of thing ... someone please correct me if I'm wrong?

-d