Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:53:11 +0300
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ncr0: timeout ccb=0xf0533400 (skip)

Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been running a symbios logic scsi controller with the following
> stats:
>
> symbios logic v4.0 pci scsi bios pci rev 2.0,2.1 pci-4.03.00
> 53c875 fast20 wide scsi
>
> However, the system keeps falling over with a ncr0: timeout (different
> ccb value each time), and needs a power cycle to reboot. Usually falling
> over again during the first fsck attempt, requiring a second power cycle
> before I can login again.

***

I don't know where the problem is. I have got the rid by upgrading my
drives firmware and adapter firmware too. What's interesting that you
have same adapter firmware ( pci-4.03.00 ) which caused troubles to
me. Fact is that the errors I got aren't caused by flakey cables or
smthg. similar - all is same and I haven't got any errors since
upgrading. I can also note that replacing the ncr controller with an
adaptec one helped in the same way. Same cables, same drives and no
firmware updates either, but no errors somewhere.

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee