Date:      Sun, 07 Sep 2014 06:48:33 +0000
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>, "Martin G. McCormick" <martin@server1.shellworld.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recreating the FreeBSD Installation Disks

--------
In message <20140905190747.L58647@sola.nimnet.asn.au>, Ian Smith writes:

>However with the .iso as /dev/md0 mounted on /mnt, the link counts do
>_show_ eg '2' - but the files are shown as having unique inodes, which
>might? be the way they appear on an actual DVD; I have no machine with a
>DVD drive to test that theory.

When you mount an .iso you use the CD9660 filesystem and I don't belive
that supports hardlinks the way UFS/FFS does.

CD9660 has two layers of naming, the native ISO format, and a "shim"
layer which maps UNIX names to the native format ("Rock-Ridge" etc.)

Depending on the software used to create the CD9660 filesystem, I belive
it is common to store hardlinks as one native file, but to create a
separate Rock-Ridge name for each hard-link.

So even though these names share the same storage, they have different
inode numbers.

>Copying md(4)'s daddy phk@ for potential instant enlightenment :)

md(4) has nothing to do with it at all, it's just a memory disk.