Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 03:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@nvl.virginia.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Brett Paden <paden@designstein.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition at 109%??

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Brett Paden wrote:
>
> > Is this merely as safety precaution, or is this a weird bug I am
> > witnessing?
>
> Safety precaution.  The filesystem reserves 10% of the space for a buffer
> by default.  Root can override that limit and use it, but your filesystem
> performance will suffer, and no one else will be able to write to the
> filesystem.

	Well, the fact that root can write to the filesystem past the 100%
mark could be considered a security feature.  I think it is more
technically correct to say that the 10% reserved disk space is a
performance enhancement.  It is used to allow the kernel to group blocks
of data together to achieve more efficient I/O.  If you format a disk with
less reserved space or run it until it is 110% full, you will see
significant degradation in filesystem performance.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,