Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:24:54 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        John Laugenour <johnl@afes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet sessions for root

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 at 01:01:23 -0800, John Laugenour wrote:
> Having successfully installed FreeBSD I find I can login through a
> telnet session as any user but root, uid0.  Attempts to login as
> root are refused from host .....

This is how it's supposed to be.

> Can this be corrected and how?

You won't be "correcting" it, but yes, it is possible to allow root
telnet access.  It also happens to be a bad idea.  You're better off
replacing telnet with ssh, logging in as your normal user, and using
'su' to become root.  For details on this, see the latest issue of
'The FreeBSD 'zine' at http://www.freebsdzine.org/

If you must enable root telnet access, you can do so by changing the
'insecure' to 'secure' for each virtual terminal in /etc/ttys.

--
Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@corp.au.triax.com  ,-._|\  FreeBSD
work:  Triax Internet Services  http://www.triax.com/ /      \ The