Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:48:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RA Sound & configuration

On Fri, 29 Nov 1996, Howard Lew wrote:

> > > sb0 at 0x220 irq 10 drq 1 on isa

Irq 10?  You might check that.

> > > This is a probe from a cold boot, so I did not have MSDOS do anything to
> > > the PNP settings.  I believe the MPU setting is wrong in the kernel
> > > configuration, but from /dev/sndstat it looks like opl0 is also wrong.
> >
> > You won't need it, we care about sb0 only.
> >
> > Just get the FreeBSD RealAudio client and you should be good.
> >

> Hmmm....  I wish it was that easy, but when the RealAudio client is
> started and tries to play a .ra file, it just hangs.  I don't hear any
> sound at all from the sound card.  I suspect a irq or port address
> software configuration problem with the sound card for FreeBSD or the
> sound card driver builtin FreeBSD isn't able to handle the sound card.

Perhaps.  This is a PnP card, I believe you said, so you may want to look
at upgrading the sound driver.  You'll have to run a decently current
-CURRENT to do it though.  Try asking about that on
multimedia@freebsd.org, where our sound gurus hang out.  I believe there
is a driver for the SB's that is PnP aware.

Sorry I missed that on the first pass.