Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:10:00 -0500
From:      Dave Hummel <dnh@pce.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting a FreeBSD-related project

Hi,

I'd like to create a FreeBSD mail application that would replace our
current Netscape products (Messaging Server using ldap from Directory
Server running on Solaris). This will be opensource with FreeBSD users in
mind first.

The plan now is to use sendmail, Cyprus, and openldap to create a basic
ldap-enabled mail system which will eventually be wrapped with SSL (all
with a spiffy interface of course).  (Has this been done already?)

I'm sure I can hack this together, but it would require more
experience/knowledge than I have to make this a high-quality, portable
piece of work rather than something that is half-assed and
site-specific.

Someone on this list expressed interest in software like this so I think
this may actually benefit some folks.

I'm building this out of necessity no matter what, but if anyone else is
interested in working on such a project, please let me know.

What needs to be done as I see it:
What: Decide on a good overall model for the directory services provided
	by slapd, Create templates for such a model.
Who: Someone experienced with handling email services for large sites or
	someone familiar with using ldap in general.

What: Create Makefile/port of ldap-enabled Sendmail-8.93 using this model
Who: Someone experienced with sendmail customization and creating ports

What: ldapify Cyrus
Who: Probably the main issue is familiarity with Cyrus's handling of
	users, mailboxes,  etc. ldapification of these functions appears
	to be pretty straightforward.

What: SSL-enable Cyrus imap, Cyrus pop, and imap
Who: I see this as mainly a design issue because the actually coding
	shouldn't be too bad.

Who else: Security auditors, nay-sayers and anyone with a suggestion.

Thanks, Dave