Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 2008 12:06:35 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Derek =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kuli=C5=84ski?= <takeda@takeda.tk>, Michael <freebsdports@bindone.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/121684: : dump(8) frequently hangs

At 12:00 PM 9/1/2008, Kevin Oberman wrote:

>I have a 7-Stable system which has not been able to successfully dump(8)
>for about 2 months. Since it contains almost no important data that is
>subject to change, it's not too big a deal, but I worry that other
>systems might start showing the same problems.

How does it actually fail ? Do the dump processes stall, or does it
error out ?  Did you fsck the file system ? I have seen dump fail
when the file system is dirty.  Also, I am not using snapshots.  The
flags I use are

/sbin/dump  -C24 -${BACKUP_LEVEL}anuf - /zoo | /usr/bin/gzip | dd
of=/backup/zoo-level-${BACKUP_LEVEL}.gz

         ---Mike