Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 1998 13:24:19 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -stable startup problem

> Quite simply, fsck runs in login class daemon (IIRC) which has quite
> strict memory limits - too strict to fsck a large file system. This
> was fixed before 2.2.5 shipped, so if you are seeing this on -stable,
> you have forgotten to update your /etc after make world.

A general problem I have with the login.conf mechanism is that it's often
difficult to see exactly *where* (which entry) the limits are taken from,
and what are the consequences of changing the limits.

For instance, I recently ran into trouble with ssh logins. Found that I
could login just fine if the ssh binary was *not* setuid - but with the
default (setuid root) installation, I bumped into the limit on the number
of processes. I was able to find the relevant login.conf entry and change
it, but:

- It took some experimentation to find the correct entry (the "default"
entry, in this case).
- Now that I've changed it, I'm not at all sure what *other* parts of the
system are going to be affected.
- It's not obvious to me that different behavior for suid and non-suid
programs is logical.