Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 22:20:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dd if=/cdrom of=file.iso ??

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've just run the above command on Linux and it worked fine and now
> I'm not able to do this on FreeBSD-4.2, is there something here I'm
> missing, can anyone help ?
>
> This is a CD with the archives of Unix data and I just want to not
> have to use the cd everytime to view it.

This question has been asked here by me about three days ago. I didn't
have this working on Linux (since I don't have any Linux here), but I
thought I used the command on FreeBSD in the past, and when I tried
recently, it didn't work. The solution:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=2048

This should work - it does for me and reportely for many others.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org