Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:48:16 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
To:        Jeronimo Pellegrini <pellegrini@mpcnet.com.br>
Cc:        Safir Secerovic <esafir@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi OS installation

> That's exactly what I'm doing! (Actually, I run FreeBSD 4.1 and Debian
> woody)

I have RedHat 6.2 and FreeBSD 3.4 on my machine.

> I had Debian installed first, then just installed FreeBSD to a primary
> partition, and set my boot manager to let me choose the OS.

I had installed FreeBSD first, and then RedHat.  But, I couldn't get
FreeBSD's BootEasy to boot into Linux.  Why, I have no idea.  Also, like
you say later, FreeBSD can't see Linux's logical drives, and my entire
Linux installation is in logical drives.  Maybe that's why ...

Well anyways, I couldn't mail to freebsd-questions during that time, and
so I had to resort to the NetBSD mailing list.  A person there did offer
me helpful suggestion, although I haven't tried them out so far, and so
can't say much.  The gist of it was that extended drives can be accessed
as wd0s5 upwards (ie, primary hdd, slices 5 and upwards).  It seems we can
even make disklabels in it.  But I really haven't tried ... :-(

> You may want to check the Linux-and-FreeBSD howto (it's a mini-HOWTO)
> in the Linux Documentation Project:
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/

Yes, do check it out.  It's got some interesting info.

> - Decide which boot manager you'll use. I use the GNU Grub (which is
>   great) -- so, after I had grub installed under Linux, I installed
>   FreeBSD, and did *NOT* let it install its boot manager (you'll be
>   asked this)... Then I jsut added, in my grub conf. file in Linux, an
>   entry for FreeBSD.

Could I have the URL from where you got GRUB, and also any URLs that have
documentation/info abt it.  I had tried once long ago when I wanted to
boot HURD, and that's it.

BTW, it case u don't have GRUB, you can always use LILO (supplied
alongwith Linux).  Check out the manpages/other-docs for more info.

Also, I must add: FreeBSD can't mount UFS (or FFS) partitions rw.  This
means, you can't write to any of FreeBSD's partitions.  So if you wan't to
share data, you might consider making your home partition/slice ext2fs,
and then mount it rw from both.

Rakhesh