Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 16:48:52 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
Cc:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: a desirable fetaure: syscons reset utility

>> > The above sequence MIGHT work.  But, sadly, it won't, in general.
>> > There isn't a reliable way of `resetting' video hardware once the X
>> > server has messed up with it.
>> >

>> Oh, bad news. I tried that sequence of commands several times, without
>> any luck. Well, we will have to live with this problem. Fortunately,
>> my Xserver does not crash very often ;-) .
>
>I ran into this problem on some Linux boxes - somewhere, I found a program
>that saved the video card registers when it was in a "usable" mode (80x25
>text) to a file, and let you restore them later...  Basically, if the X
>server crashed, telnet into the dead machine, kill X, and use this program
>to restore the video card settings.  Worked about 90% of the time, I'd
>guess.  Is something like this available on FreeBSD (or need to be
>written?)

This won't reliably work, if the said program is saving/restoring only
the standard VGA registers.  Because the X server touches various
extra registers which are not present in the standard VGA, you need to
save these registers as well as the standard VGA registers.  Restoring
only the standard VGA registers is not enough to bring the video card
back to known state.

When vidcontrol issues the ioctl command to switch the video mode, the
vga video driver will set the standard VGA registers to the values
listed in the card's BIOS ROM (or use the VESA BIOS to set up the
VESA video mode).  If the video BIOS cannot set up the card, then,
what can we do?

Does this Linux utility have some knowledge about extra registers
and is able to save and restore them?

Kazu