Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 13:46:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: RSA Donated to the public domain

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200009061312.HAA68224@harmony.village.org> Warner Losh writes:
> : RSA Security Releases RSA Encryption Algorithm into Public Domain
>
> Note that other information at the site says that RSAREF isn't
> released into the public domain.  Its use is still governed by
> copyright law, so we'll have to use the international version of
> RSAREF if we want to get RSA into -current.

There's no reason why we would want to continue to use RSAREF, except
perhaps for source code compatability with something that was written to
link against it. The OpenSSL implementation is much better, and basically
we just have to build it by default now.

I'm not sure whether it's okay to build a shim for OpenSSL which
translates the RSAREF API into the native one (the reverse of the OpenSSL
-> RSAREF code which currently exists), but it would be mildly useful for
those legacy apps.

Kris