Date:      Fri, 02 Jun 2000 08:35:54 -0700
From:      tomb <tomb@cgf.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum and bad pack magic number

OK,

So I looked back in my mail acrhive and dug out the dialog I had and here's the exact
problem.  On instruchtion from you I had been attempting to create a disklabel on a
partition that did not yet exist..!

>> At this point I have not done anything to the disk's (like newfs or
>> /stand/sysinstall) they are low-level formatted only.
>
>That's all you need.  I'm assuming that you're using an older version
>of FreeBSD.  Do 'disklabel -e da0' and it should work.
>
>> 8 partitions:
>> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>>   a:  8496884        0    vinum         0     0       0 # (Cyl.    0 - 528*)
>>   c:  8496884        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 528*)

This was the whole problem.  Disklabel did not work and after reading the man page
for disklabel I could find no way of adding a new partition and relabeling it.
"fdisk/newfs" was the correct answer and in my case was in fact operated from stand
sysinstall.  As stated in my previos mail I thought it was necessary to add a
partition, but you said that was not necessary. This was incorrect as I later
discovered.

This is the ambiguity that I am fighting with my so called experimental methods.  At
then end of the day the documentation could have mention of this, what may seem
obvious to the inventor is not as clear to us who live in userland.

Getting it working is, at the end of the day, all we care about.

Tom