Date:      12 Sep 1999 20:45:43 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to prevent motd including os info

[moving to -hackers]

"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> writes:
> So when can we see this commited....

Already done (-CURRENT only). I've had requests (notably from Yan
Koum) to backport it to -STABLE, but I won't do it so close to a
release.

>                                      the only thing I would like
> changed is actually a general format of output change in /etc/rc.network,
> if you have a few of the ``tcp_*'' knobs set the line length gets
> a bit long, could be change the ``echo -n'''s to ``echo \t'' and loose
> the trailing ``echo '.'''.

I don't consider that much of a problem, except in cases where
individual scripts / options produce output which breaks the line
(this is mostly a problem with ports). I wouldn't mind the changes you
suggest, but I don't care enough to actually go ahead and do it.

One thing I'd like very much, though, would be to have the output of
fsck -p logged somehow - but since we don't have anything mounted rw
when fsck runs, it's a bit hard to log to disk. You could of course
do something like this:

 fsck_output="$(/sbin/fsck -p)"
 /sbin/mount -at nonfs
 echo "${fsck_output}" >/var/run/fsck.boot

but then you wouldn't be able to see the output while it runs. The
only solution I can think of is the following:

 fsck_output="$(/sbin/fsck -p | /bin/tee /dev/console)"
 /sbin/mount -at nonfs
 echo "${fsck_output}" >/var/run/fsck.boot

but I don't expect people to be happy about moving tee(1) from
/usr/bin to /bin.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no