Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:10:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        jonc@pinnacle.co.nz, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2R Console hanging.

> >  There was some speculation (with which I'm not sure I agree) that
> >  running setiathome causes the laptop to overheat... but, I've
> >  run this laptop "full tilt" (doing big builds, etc...) for hours
> >  without it ever overheating...
>
> I don't quite think it's got anything to do with overheating at all.
> I've had setiathome running on a separate screen while running X on
> another, running major compiles with no problems for hours. My
> machine's a P233 with 64M of RAM.
>
> Was your laptop connected to a network? One thing I have just recalled
> was that that the console hung usually shortly after sending the
> work-packet back over the 'Net via ppp. Some weird interference with
> the network code (unlikely as it sounds)?

 Well - yes - it is connected to a network.  It's an internal network
with a separate gateway to the outside world.

 The connection is via an NE2000 PCMCIA card.

 The hangs I see are that the machine is totally dead.  (I'm also
doing this under X) - I can't ping it, I can't do anything on the keyboard
(to kill X) and there's no mouse movement... the machine is just dead.

	- Dave Rivers -