Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:05:27 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bt848 driver...

Hi,

I tweaked the driver over the weekend to fix a few more problems . One
of the problem was that I was incorrectly applying an inverse gamma
function to rgb capture -- translation -- the video stream was coming
out too dark. This problem came up while trying to capture a yuv
stream after the the application had been capturing rgb. The yuv
stream was coming out "washed out". In trying to find the difference
between the two capture modes , I discovered the difference.
This thorny problem paves the for applications such as fxtv
to capture yuv for mpeg encoding. The primary advantage
for capturing yuv is that the disk thruput requirments
are reduced by about 1/3 as well as the size of the video stream.

Also, Roger Hardiman managed to crash the system  by switching
between NTSC and PAL -- he has a board which accepts NTSC
or PAL and the problem so far has been isolated to boards
which are capable of supporting NTSC and PAL.
The temptative fix for this problem is to add a tsleep
of 2 seconds in video_open to give the Bt848 enough time to
fully initialize . There is perhaps a much quicker solution
and I am waiting from Roger if he has managed to solve the
problem.

The current driver does not address any of the problems that
some users are experiencing with the driver not recognizing
their tuner. It seems that Bt848 board manufacturers are
finding new and novel tuner parts . An easy way to determine
if the card is operating well is to feed it a TV signal via
one of its video input ports and not to  the tuner port  since
the latter is most cases that a user is having problems is
probably not programmed properly. Also you can test the
Bt848 with the following command:

fxtv -colorbars

If  color bar is displayed, it means that the Bt848 circuitry
is working.

Last but not least the problem that some PAL users are having
with fxtv core dumping is still unresolved;however, I most
say that I have not heard a single NTSC user having the
same problem which kind makes me think that is a buffer or
shared memory resource limitation .

The updated Bt848 driver is at:
ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/bt848.tar.gz

	Cheers,
	Amancio