Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:19:46 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Nikolaos.Nikou@lmf.ericsson.se, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Making a Release (was Re: problem with ISO images)

On 4/20/00, 11:35:45 AM, Nikolaos Nikou=20
<Nikolaos.Nikou@lmf.ericsson.se>
wrote regarding problem with ISO images:

> I have tried to make a CD with the ISO images.
> I have used several different sites and tried with both 3.4 and 4.0
> I boot from the disks but when the installation starts I always have
problem with some directories and especially with the bin directory
which makes the installation impossible.

> Is it possible that the mages are corrupted or is it possible that
there is something wrong with my CDROM drive;

> any comments!

> nn

Dear Nikolas Nikou,

if you wish to make a CD containing a FreeBSD Release, you have to
(wait for it) "make release" in /usr/src/release. First and foremost,
you should download the sources (**cvs** tree: look at the examples in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup). Next, carefully read the
/usr/src/release/Makefile, set the appropriate variables and, in
particular, CVSROOT.

Caveat I
Your OS version should NOT be older than your target OS version: e.g.,
you should NOT make a 4.0-STABLE from a 3.4-STABLE.

Caveat II
You should NOT use parallelism (ie No -j option.)

Caveat III
You **must** download the crypto (cvs) sources if you want to make a
4.0-something: please have a look at the above-mentioned cvsup
examples. The crypto collections are an essential constituent of
FreeBSD 4.0-R and 4.0-S.

Also, you might want to have a look at the archives.
"make release" not only makes a -RELEASE, but also a -STABLE or
-CURRENT.

Once you are finished (and it is a *long* process), you can create an
image of /where/you/put/your_release/R/cdrom/disc1, specifying
"floppies/boot.flp" via the -b (bootable) option in mkisofs; you might
also want to specify other options for mkisofs (e.g., -R, -T.)
Finally, you can burn the image (e.g. via cdrecord.)

I have recently installed (yet) another FreeBSD 4.0-S slice from my
own CD; I had put in .../R/cdrom/disc1 a lot of tarballs (no packages)
before creating my ISO image. Needless to say, everything worked like
charm.

HTH,
Salvo