Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2016 00:15:16 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Vlad K." <vlad-fbsd@acheronmedia.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

On 8/12/2016 6:05 PM, Vlad K. wrote:
> On 2016-12-08 06:16, Daniil Berendeev wrote:
>

> I mean, they are the FIRST landing point of a change. And the only
> QA we ask for that change is a confirmation that poudriere and
> portlint have been run, the rest is at liberty of committers how far
> they'll go with own testing before they commit. For many, only
> builds against -CURRENT or latest -RELEASE are done because it's
> very time consuming to test against all supported FreeBSD versions,
> and not just versions but various permutations like different
> pythons etc... When it comes to some defaults like OpenSSL (or any
> kind of dependency on it), all of those tests are required.
>
> The problem is, FreeBSD doesn't have a STABLE repo that would
> receive gradual updates from HEAD as they prove themselves stable.
> QUARTERLY != STABLE, it's just a snapshot of whatever state HEAD is
> in, with a loose promise the ports in it will receive "security and
> bugfixes only" but that's a separate set of issues.

The problem I get hit by is that the quarterly packages are deleted
immediately on the creation of the next quarterly set.
so by definition, when you've spent 3 months getting the quarterly pkg
collection reliable and correct, it gets deleted.
I think there should be two quarterly pkg collections available at any
time:
The one we are stabilising, and the previous stable set (called beta
and stable or something like that).
the stable one is basically read-only except for security fixes.
As it is when you get the new quarterly packages, they are straight
off head, because the branch was just made.

> There are some solutions and we don't have to NIH or reinvent the
> wheel. Just looking at what other open source projects do with, say,
> GitHub and continuous integration testing, every pull request gets
> an automated test. Why don't we do that? Is it difficult to
> implement it?
>
> I am also convinced that such testing can be automated and a true
> "STABLE" repo can be made instead of manual QUARTERLY that breaks
> promises.
I think this is heading in the right direction..  at the end of the 3
month stabilisation it goes to stable.

>> 8) ports with vulnerabilities.
>> They exist in the tree and on build attempt they shout that they won't
>> build without DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes. The catch is that there is
>> always a bunch of ports with vulnerabilities. So if you are doing a
>
> That's just a nature of it, and the consequence of VuXML being a
> separate port that gets often updated first, as it's better to
> announce the vuln before it was fixed. And fixing is bound to
> maintainer timeouts, poor issue tracking via Bugzilla, etc...
>

>> I hope that my mail will produce a productive discussion that will
>> lead
>> to some good decisions for fixing these problems.
>
> Probably not. I've already posted about issues with head/quarterly,
> hoping for a discussion, never happened. Others have complained
> about the same problem, but no constructive discussion ensued. Is my
> frustration coming through, yet? :)

yeah it's not working well at the moment.  The procedures could do
with some tuning for sure.