Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:17:43 +0200
From:      "Ylitalo Juha . O" <juha.o.ylitalo@nokia.com>
To:        Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: with esd xmms and mpg123 will complain about /dev/dsp

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 02:53:20PM -0500, ext Chip Marshall wrote:
> If you're building these from the ports collection, try defining
> WITH_ESOUND=yes when you do the make. I'm not sure if the packages
> have esound enabled or not.

Rebuilding mpg123 WITH_ESOUND=yes fixed problem for mpg123. I compiled
xmms with "WITH_GNOME=yes WITH_ESOUND=yes WITHOUT_MIKMOD=yes
WITHOUT_3DNOW=yes". I also did "rm -rf ~/.xmms", but for some reason,
it kept on selecting libOSS.so as output_plugin (probably some old
system-wide configuration file from earlier builds?), but once I fixed
that to libesdout.so in my ~/.xmms/config, even that one started to
work.

All in all problem got solved and my thanks for the advice. In future,
I'll better pay more attention to ports Makefiles in future to spot
all these WITH_ clauses.

--
Juha Ylitalo       juha.o.ylitalo@nokia.com           <work e-mail>
"Some tools are used, because its policy, others because they are good."