Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:54:30 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: looking for a secondary.

--------------enig6CAB458A3A911C0544551F71

Gary Kline wrote:

> 	well, i've certainly asked more ignorant q's, so hrer goes:
> 	what is a ``zone''?  i do my own dns and have since 04/2001.

A zone is a group of related DNS records all under the same administrativ=
control.  'Related' meaning they all end in the same sequence of labels. =
 Zone
boundaries are determined pretty much by delegation to another set of DNS=

servers.

So there's a '.org' zone containing primarily the NS records for all the =

domains registered under .org.  This is distinct from the 'thought.org'
zone you control and here all the sub-entries like www.thought.org or
plato.thought.org are part of the same zone.  It's not an entirely cut an=
dried definition, but you can think of a zone as 'the chunk of the DNS sp=
ace
that one person controls.'

> 	thought.org is my one domain, altho i've got several virtual=20
> 	websites. =20

'domain' in DNS-speak is any sequence of labels[*] known to the DNS.  So
even if the DNS data is a host name, an e-mail address, the name of a
whole network, a crypto key for DKIM or DNSSEC or some aggregate service =
name
hosted across several different servers via SRV records, they're all doma=
ins.
Domains can be absolute (ie. from the root of the DNS) or relative to som=
intermediate domain.

ie. 'thought.org' is your only zone, although you've got several domains
within it for virtual websites.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] And a 'label' is a sequence of characters not including the separator=

character '.' -- a domain is hence a sequence of labels joined together
by '.' characters.  It's conceptually like the distinction between filena=
me
and path=20

--=20
                                                  Flat 3